Alaska story

I am often asked about the daylight and darkness in Alaska.  Does it really stay dark all year round?  Do you get depressed from the darkness?  And so many more.

So, to the first question, no it is not dark year round.  Darkness is happening now.  When it is dark it is pitch black, we have no street lights.  The kids will eventually go to school in the dark and come home in the dark.  The school takes advantage when they can to see to it that the kids go out to play.  One of the teachers even wrote a book Recess at 20 Below.  Yes, the kids really do go out at 20 below.  They love sledding, the static the dryness puts in their hair, and even eyelashes that freeze to crystals. 

Do I get depressed?  Not usually in the winter, but I did last year.  I always look forward to winter.  Alaska is beautiful year round, but winter has captured my heart.  Makes me feel like God has wrapped the earth in a beautiful blanket.  It makes you want to get cozy by the fire.  I am sure that is probably because I am a woman and my husband and adult boys do the shoveling, plowing and carry in the wood.  What can I say, I am spoiled and I know it.  But I do make cookies and homemade breads.  I love to bake.  Especially, homemade breads.

But, what brought me to this subject is one of the fun things to do in Alaska.  You remember the stories and tell them.  It brings smiles and laughter when you talk about it being tourist season.  And people asking if they can use American money here.  Yes, they really do ask.  The story I will tell today, is about our dog, Moses.

Moses is about 6 months old.  We had decided, no dogs.  We didn't want to be tied down to a dog when we went on vacation or to shop  in Fairbanks, which is an all day event.  I especially was saying no. I knew I would be the one to have to train him.  I have 5 kids, really train a dog in my spare time, when the kids are at school, a dog is for kids.  Little did I know.  I went to the local IGA grocery store and there he was, cute as can be.  I actually walked away.  I went in the store to shop, but he stayed on my mind.  I finally said, Okay God if he is still there when I leave, I will get him.  Of course, he was still there.  So I bring him home to the kids.  You know, like I said, kids dog.  No, Moses is ver partial to momma.  I love having him around. 

Anyway, back to the story.  Tonight I let Moses out.  It is pitch black.  I go out a few minutes later and yell for him, no Moses.  I come back in and sit for a while, then I hear barking.  I go out on the deck and holler for him again, several times really.  Silly dog, he ain't listnin' to me.  My son comes upstairs to help out.  He yells too.  No Moses, just barks.  My son then gets a flashlight, and this silly ol' dog is barking at a moose.  Granted, when he jumps up to give me a hug, his head is at my chin.  But, a moose is as big or bigger than a horse.  And this dog is not just barking but taunting this moose.  He would go up to about 10 feet away and lay down, then jump up and bark then run, and come back and do it again.  The moose is looking at him like really?  So my son get on the Ranger (6 wheeler) to chase off the moose.  He is out there for a while, dog still barking, son hollerin'.  Finally, I get in the car and drive over and honk the horn and the moose leaves.  My son gets Moses and brings him in.  Just another adventure in Alaska.

But as Mater would have said, "Dogs is so dumb.".

Have a blessed day!
Love and Smiles
Shelly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blessings from Heaven

Two years, what has changed?

Time Flies