Summer is officially over

Seriously, it is.  Termination dust on the mountains.  A really good frost last night.  Moose season has started as well as grouse season.  Gotta dig up the potatoes today, as well as bring in the last veggies from the greenhouse.  The tourists are heading back to the lower forty-eight.  First fire in the fireplace. 

So what to do in a small town, in the middle of no-where, during the winter months?  Bake, can, craft, write, read?  I guess the one thing I do miss is my country music.  Yes, I could buy CD's and I do have a few, but you memorize them and always know which song comes next.  I don't have radio reception at the house.  During the summer months we do alot more traveling and I can listen in the car.  But at home, no.  Well, enough camplaining.  I will get more cards made and plan to do some scrapbooking.  This summer I got the house more together, so that housecleaning will be faster and I can play more.  So where was I, oh yeah, what to do in a small town when winter is 8 - 9 months long.  In a house of seven people, we have a variety.

Let's start with the youngest age 6, in school, 1st grade.  Off to school at 7 home by 4:30.  Time for homework, play with trains, and video games, his new favorite is Portal 2, supper, shower, storytime, bedtime.  Such a long day for a little guy, but he is as cute as can be. 

Next child age 11, in school, 6th grade.  Off to school at 7 home by 4:30.  Full or preteen hormonal energy.  wanting to grown way too soon.  She is ready Harry Potter.  Fixing her hair, dressing up.  Won't be too long she will have out the crochet needles and sewing machine for what ever project she decides this year that she wants to complete. 

Next child age 16, in school, 11th grade.  Off to school at 7 home by 4:30.  Excited about doing well the next two years and move off to college.  Loves to read, her new favorite is Peter Pan.  Awesome to see her still interested in childs fantasy and still have the flare to plan for a future.

Next adult son age 21.  Very helpful.  Keeps me smiling.  Chops wood, stacks it.  Trying to figure out comes next in a young man's life.  Plans for hunting, camping, keep gear ready to go. 

Next adult son age 23.  My how the time has flown.  His winter activities, hunting, fishing, snowmobiling.  Enjoying life.  His job keeps him busy otherwise. 

All  five of the love to pick at one another.  Keeps the house full of energy.  Feels like the Cosby house at times, with screams of, "He's touching me", "He's looking at me", the oldest saying, "I'm not touching anyone", as he holds his hand in front of their faces, just instigating.  Gotta love the fun in a full house.  Makes me smile, laugh and yes, cry.  I know all too soon, they will be grown and gone.

And of course, there is us, Dad and Mom.  Struggling to keep everyone happy.  Allowing them to make their mistakes, pick them up when they fall.  Knowing we brought them up to know God, and pray they never loose sight of Him.  Cuddling by the fire, sleeping in when possible.  And always thinking, of course we can sneak a hot bath together.  But, knowing, the kids will be louder and banging on the door.  Life with a family.  I wouldn't trade my life for any other. 

Thank you God for the blessings of a long winter, where our family, with all the pent up energy of a herd of elephants, can still come through a long winter and still love one another.

Pray you see the special blessings in your life.

Hugs and Smiles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blessings from Heaven

Two years, what has changed?

Time Flies